Saturday, October 15, 2011

Generate Small Wins

My sophomore year of college those in my apartment had an unofficial "Teenage Dance Party" Rule. When someone had something to celebrate, needed a break from working on a thesis sentence that wouldn't come, or were just in the need of either a pick-me up or celebration, they would run into the common room of the apartment and shout "TEENAGE DANCE PARTY." They would turn on music, usually Backstreet Boys or something similarly poplicious, and crank the music. Everyone in the apartment would run out of our rooms, dance feverishly for the four minutes of the song, and then return back to whatever work we had been doing.

Self-Care has been listed as a growing edge for my leadership. As in, I don't do enough self care. One person specifically asked me to bring in more celebration into my life, or as I interpreted, "Where your party at Ruth?"

Kouzes and Posner suggest that in order to create an overall willingness to take on the risk of a large projects then you need to generate small wins as you go along. Well, last week I finished up the last of my midterms. I would like to point out that this is a time for a Teenage Dance Party as an important and proper step in my Leadership Reflections.

So. TEENAGE DANCE PARTY!


P.S. Lady Gaga described the simpler video than her usual fare:
I realized that it was time to just have a moment to acknowledge myself, as a 25-year old who has been working so hard from the bottom of my heart.
I guess the Teenage Dance Party is a legitimate form of artistic expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment